So I discovered Chia Seeds some time ago. I have been using it on top of yoghurt (before a work-out) or a table spoon with water (before work). I also use it in smoothies, risottos, and on my morning oatmeal.
Chia Seed Facts
- Chia seeds are a great source of healthy omega-3 fats and fibre.
- They also contain protein, fat and dietary fibre as well as minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron, and phosphorous. MAGIC!
- They absorb a lot of water, much like rice and Quinoa. This means feeling full for longer, HOORAY
Hence with the boost of energy, health benefits and ability to make you fill fuller faster this is a great product to take traveling. Especially if you are staying in hostels. They are light and inexpensive at approximately $8 [AUD] [$7.40 U.S, $4.40 U.K and 5.40 Euro] for a 250 gram packet.
When i traveled to America last year in 2013 [second time] I was worried about finding something healthy to eat in the morning for cheap or even to snack on. Last time i went to America I put on several pounds did not want that happening this time. I feel this recipe could be used at home or on any trip.
I found I used chia seeds the most with the following recipe; (note I would also carry cinnamon on travels, its nice to have with warm milk at the end of the day as most hostels i found only carry coffee or tea as a late warm drink and that is hard to sleep on).
1 Banana (pick a bunch for a long stay or one for a snack)
Tablespoon of Chia Seeds
2 Pinches of Cinnamon
100g of yoghurt (you can buy the small one serve options at most 7/11’s, petrol(Gas) stations etc)
2 Drops of Vanilla Essence (For at home use)
1. Peel Bannana and cut in half vertically. You should now have two slithers that if you place beside each other will look like the Chanel symbol.
2. Place the yoghurt in the centre of the Chanel symbol.
3. Sprinkle the chia seeds over the yoghurt
4. sprinkle the cinnamon over both lengths of the bannan
5. [optional] place the drops of vanilla essence over the yoghurt and chia seeds.